Blue Ribbon School
Caledonia Elementary School was recognized as an outstanding school and bestowed the 2014 National Blue Ribbon award.
First Model Reading Renaissance School in Mississippi
Caledonia Elementary School became the first Reading Renaissance Model School in Mississippi during the 1997-1998 school year. Caledonia Elementary School was the first school in Mississippi to successfully use the principles of the Reading Renaissance to teach reading to our students.
First Master Certified Reading Renaissance School in the United States
Caledonia Elementary School became the first Master Certified Reading Renaissance School in the United States during the 2000-2001 school year. Caledonia Elementary School was the first school in the United States to successfully use the principles of the Reading Renaissance program to become Master School Certified by the Institute for Academic Excellence.
Renaissance School of Excellence Award
Caledonia Elementary School was recognized as an outstanding school and bestowed the Renaissance School of Excellence award.
Caledonia Elementary School has an enrollment of approximately 1,128 students. Caledonia serves Pre-K through fifth grade.
- The library is under the direction of our media specialist, Elizabeth Laster. Caledonia Elementary School Library serves approximately 1,128 students and a staff of 150. The book circulation has increased to an average of 8,000 Accelerated Reading titles per month. The library has a collection of 14,509 copies and 95% are Accelerated Reading titles.
- The library is the hub of our school. The goal of the library is to provide the students with a library collection that will facilitate their love for reading and help them improve their reading ability.
Much emphasis has been placed on reading as a core learning skill. The best way to improve any skill is to practice, and the Reading Renaissance program encourages, monitors and evaluates reading practice. The literature-based program uses Accelerated Reader software to assess student comprehension. Students are allowed to progress at their own rate.
- Accelerated Math
- STAR Math & Reading assessments
- STAR Early Literacy Skills assessment
- Accelerated Vocabulary
- Accelerated Reader Voice Quizzes for Emergent Readers
- Compass Learning
- McGraw-Hill Connect-Ed
- USA Test Prep